Monday 21 June 2010

Day 11

Today everyone was working at the front of the castle – In the morning we tidied the sections of the south end of trench one and in this there were a few small metal finds which included part of an Ox shoe and a bolt from a roof which had to recorded and of course there were the usual pieces of glass and Oyster Shells. Others were working on drawing the drum tower foundations and the rest of us were excavating what is thought to be the moat. It was so hot today, which made it much harder to work and many of us got burnt so we are all hoping for some cooler weather. A large portion of our day was dedicated to finding bedrock on the side of the ‘moat’, which was hard to follow to the bottom, and the soil seemed to be endless. I don’t think we had ever been as glad to see rock when we finally found the bottom.

Sarah jayne Drake


1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying keeping up with your progress :) I found out about the excavation too late to volunteer, but I'm glad I'm getting the ins and outs from the blog.

    On another note, I've made mention of the excavation on my blog, Mithril Wisdom:

    http://mithrilwisdom.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-i-did-today-and-trailer-for-hbos.html

    ReplyDelete